Monday, August 17, 2009

Here goes nothing...


Hey everyone! I've decided to blog about my experiences with my upcoming bariatric surgery...including everything that's included in the process! I guess the best place to start is the beginning:

I have always struggled with my weight. Numerous diets, weight loss programs, and nutritionists later, I am no smaller than when I started. Quite the opposite, actually! I have always been "ok" with my weight...tending to ignore it, or use it as a crutch or excuse not to do things. After seeing pictures from my 28th birthday, however, I was absolutely shocked into reality. I'm freaking huge! I know what you're all thinking..."we still love you", "you're a great girl", "weight doesn't mean everything"...I've heard all of these things. I appreciate everyone's support, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm morbidly obese. I had to figure this out for myself though. It was very easy for me to ignore it or blame it on my environment/schedule, but after looking at those pictures, I was completely shocked!



(Don't mind my face...I'm sure I was impersonating Nancy Grace)

So basically, my whole life I've been the funny, fat girl that everyone likes. I'm great with being the funny girl in a group, but I've finally decided I've had enough with being the fat girl. After talking with my doctor, we decided bariatric surgery would be my best option. The process leading up to surgery is a long one; filled with nutritionist, psychiatrist, doctors, and nurse practitioners...not mentioning insurance companies and a mandatory 6-month weight loss program (YUCK!). Now that it's all said and done, I am finally scheduled for lap-band surgery: September 8, 2009.

Tomorrow starts what is called the "3 week diet". It's a specialized diet which will help jumpstart my weight loss, shrink my fatty liver, and hopefully get rid of any other problems which can be a challenge during surgery. To prepare, mom came over this past weekend to help me clean out my pantry and fridge of all things bad. No reason to have it in the house if I can't eat it, right? Starting tomorrow, my diet will be limited to (with NO substitutions): 1 packet of oatmeal, 4oz sugar free jello, 6 oz light/nonfat yogurt, 3 oz fresh fruit, 2 cups raw OR 1 cup cooked veggies, 3 oz lean white meat, and 2 protein shakes (made with 8oz skim milk). Whew! I'm hoping these next 3 weeks will fly by!
So I'm sure you're all wondering why I want to blog about this. First of all, I want to be able to keep everyone updated. My family is so large (no pun intended), it's hard to remember who knows what. I want to keep this as hopeful, upbeat, and optimistic as possible. I promise not to use it only to vent...feel free to remind me of this promise if I become a Debbie Downer! Second, I want to keep this as new memories are made and old boundaries are crushed. I hope to have awesome before and after pics, measurements, and weights to share with you all. I think having a huge support group will help me push through hard times. Lastly, I hope to encourage other people. I am finally feeling comfortable about sharing my weight loss struggles, and would like to share my knowledge and should've/would've 's with others who also struggle.
So that's it for now. I will definitely have more information in the coming weeks before my surgery. Keep checking back, and thanks in advance for all of your prayers and love!


9 comments:

  1. You've got our support 100% along the way! Good Days - Bad Days - Fat Days - Skinny Days, The Kettering Krazies are here. Good Luck and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you molly dolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly,
    I know you don't really like this song but you ARE my sunshine and I am so proud of your courage and strength! I am with you through this exciting journey that will forever change your life! Do not doubt that you are loved by everyone lucky enough to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you Molly for finding a way and working it out! Good luck! You have lots of people that support you!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Molly! Keep up your confidence in yourself and your plans and you will be a great success. You'll always be the funny girl that everyone loves!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Molly,
    I am so excited for you and I think you are going to do great! You have so many people that care about you and are going to be there to support you throughout this journey!
    ~ Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molly,
    You can do it and get through it! You have the best support group anyone can have. I am so proud of you and look forward to sharing your journey! I'll be thinking about you and wish you the best of luck!
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Molly;
    Your doing a great job and I am very proud of you. The lose of 13lbs in one week is a success in itself. You are such an inspiration to all of us.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Molly Girl,
    I am so proud of you for taking this step! You have a very big support group that is here to help you with all the ups and downs!! WTG on this past weeks loss...you have done great!
    Kathy S.

    ReplyDelete